Mission and History

Mission

Our purpose is to provide library books and materials for public use, to organize them for easy access, and to maintain them to ensure their continued availability. We will set a high standard of quality in the choice of materials made available and provide support programs to enhance them. We intend to provide a stimulating cultural atmosphere in a pleasant and attractive facility to promote interest in reading, literacy, and culture.


Belief

We believe that everyone has the right of access to the knowledge and pleasure available in quality books, materials and programs and that such access should be readily available in the best facility possible.


History

The Magrath Public Library had its beginning in November 1937 when it was established by Town Council. It opened in February 1938 in the upstairs of the 1910 Town Hall with a collection of donated books. In the sixty years since its inception, it has developed a collection of approximately 20,000 items, including books, magazines, video's and audio tapes, etc.

In November 1996, they moved into this spacious facility. This has resulted in an increase in the number of patrons and in items circulated. Through the Regional Library System, Chinook Arch, Magrath patrons have access, through interlibrary loans, to thousands of books from over 20 libraries in the area.

The Library offers programs for all ages and interests. Story Hour, Summer Reading Programs, Cultural activities, internet and E-mail.

The Library Board and Friends of the Library appreciate the support from the members of the community and surrounding area. Without the support of everyone in our fund raising projects we could not have achieved our goal of this new building.